RIO DE JANEIRO, July 13 (Xinhua) -- Costa Rica international midfielder Bryan Ruiz has parted ways with Santos after just 14 matches in two years with the Brazilian Serie A giants.
Ruiz, whose deal had been due to expire in December, said he hoped to find a new club soon and revealed a desire to continue his international career.
"My purpose upon arriving at Santos in July 2018 was to be able to provide the maximum contribution to achieve goals as part of a group, however, unfortunately I did not have the opportunity or the support to do that," the 34-year-old said in a statement.
Ruis joined Santos from Sporting Lisbon after the 2018 World Cup and immediately slotted into the club's midfield under then-manager Alexi Stival.
However he lost his place in the team three months after his arrival and has not represented the club since.
"I made the decision [to leave] based on not being paid and the moral damage I have received," Ruiz said in the statement, citing "untruthful information that was communicated publicly on different occasions by the club's administration which questioned my professionalism."
Santos did not immediately respond to the comments.
Ruiz has been capped 125 times for Costa Rica's national team in a career that has also included spells at Fulham and PSV Eindhoven, among other clubs.